Frequently Asked Questions
Job Seeker Questions
- Why do you ask for my social security number?
- You are not required to provide your Social Security number. We request it for two purposes. First, to see if you have an account in Alabama JobLink or if you have previously received workforce services in Alabama. Second, we ask for your Social Security number to support data collection and reporting requirements for federal workforce programs. If you provide your Social Security number, it will be maintained in a secure and confidential manner and will not be released without your express consent. If you are registering because you receive unemployment compensation or cash assistance from other federal or state programs, failure to provide your Social Security number could affect your eligibility to receive those benefits or cause you to become ineligible for those benefits. Another benefit of entering your social security number is that if you forget your JobLink username, you can retrieve it online.
- How do I search for jobs?
Across the top of the home page, click the search symbol. All jobs in Alabama JobLink will display.
You must be logged in to your account view the How to Apply instructions.
Use filters to refine search results at any time. Before selecting a filter, you can see the number of results you'll get if you add that filter. If no jobs meet a filter's criteria, that filter will not display.
Enter your search criteria into the boxes, then click the search icon or press enter.
In the What field, you can type the job title, keywords, or job posting number.
In the Where field, enter a city, state or zip code. You can also enter a county name, such as Coosa County, AL. In the Within field enter the number of miles around the location entered.
Filters can be removed by selecting the link you want to remove in the Filtered By section.
Searches can be saved by entering a unique name in the Label field and selecting the Save search as button.
Results do not include indeed.com jobs. To search indeed.com, click Search Other Job Banks at the right.
- How do I find jobs in my county?
- From the left side menu, click JOB SEARCH Enter your county in the Where search box, like Baldwin County, AL, and enter the radius in miles in the Within search box.
- When I filter by education, why do jobs with less education show?
- The search is now designed to take into account jobseekers who have a higher education than required for the job. When you select an education level, the job search will display all jobs that are that level or below, the idea being that a jobseeker may be willing to consider jobs that they would be considered overqualified for based on education level.
- How do I register/create a plus account?
- From the homepage click Job Seekers, then click on Create a Job Seeker Account.
- I forgot my Username or Password, what do I do?
- On the homepage click LOG IN / REGISTER. Click on Forgot Username or Password and follow the instructions. Use your SSN to recover your Username. Job seekers do not have an FEIN.
- Why do I have to answer so many questions when I register?
- We need to collect this information to match jobs and available programs best suited to your current situation, and to comply with Federal reporting requirements.
- How do I create a resume?
- Login to your AJL account, click My Resumes. You may upload a resume created with Microsoft Word™, copy and paste text from your current resume, or build your resume online. The more complete and current the information, then the better chance you will have of being matched with a job. An active resume is required in order to conduct a job search.
- Do employers search resumes on your system?
- Yes. Employers will select search criteria based on keyword, skills, experience, and education. Incomplete resumes are not viewable in employer resume searches. Complete resumes are viewable; you control what contact information the employer sees by managing the Address Book in Step 2 of the resume builder (does not include information on uploaded resumes).
- Can I get email notifications of jobs?
- Yes. You must have a confirmed email address on your contact information and an active resume. Answer Yes to the question in Step 1, “Do you want job matches for this resume emailed to you?”, on the Resume Overview page.
- Does it cost me anything to use the site?
- No, this site is a part of the Alabama Career Center System, AlabamaWorks! All costs are paid by federal funds.
- How do I file for unemployment?
- You can file by phone Monday - Friday 7AM-4:30 PM at 1-866-234-5382 or online Sunday - Friday at https://labor.alabama.gov/uc/ICCS/
- Can I change my username?
- Yes. Login to your jobseeker account, click My Profile, click Account Information, then click Change Username and follow the instructions.
- How do I upload my JobLink resume to an online application or email it to an employer?
- Login to your AJL account, click My Resumes. To download a resume, click the resume title, then click the Preview Resume link at the top of the sidebar on the left side of the Resume Overview page. On the Resume Preview page, click the Print/Download Word or PDF link to save the resume file to your computer. You are now able to select this file for upload or email.
- Can I share the job I created on social media (Facebook, etc.)?
Yes. To Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and LinkedIn!
Login and click on My Job Postings. Click the job title and scroll past the menu to the title of the job where you will find instructions to share the job posting.
- How much does it cost to use this site?
- This site is a part of the Alabama Career Center System, Alabama Workforce Development System. All costs are paid by federal funds.
- How do I set up an employer self-service account?
- To create an employer self-service account, please go to JobLink.Alabama.gov, and click on Click on LOG IN / REGISTER, then under Need to register?, click on Employer. You must have your Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) and your Alabama Department of Labor State Unemployment Insurance Account Number (SUIN) to complete the registration.
- How do I post a job?
- From your Employer home page, click on My Job Postings and then the Post a New Job button. After you have created a job posting, upon your next log ins you will see Resumes matching the job posting that may interest you. You will also have access to Recently viewed resumes (if applicable).
- How do I search resumes?
- After your access has been approved, from My Home page, click on Search Resumes and enter your search criteria. You may want to start with a broad search and then add more criteria to narrow the search. Use the filters at the left to quickly narrow your search. You may also search resumes from your self-service or staff assisted job order(s) by clicking Search under column header Resume Search.
- How long does it take to be approved for access?
- If your Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) and Alabama Department of Labor State Unemployment Insurance Account Number (SUIN) are correct, and can be verified, your access will be approved the same or the next business day. If we are unable to verify these numbers, and you do not respond to our request for clarification, your access will be denied.
- I forgot my Username or Password, what do I do?
- On the homepage click LOG IN / REGISTER. Click on Forgot Username or Password? and follow the instructions. Use your company FEIN, not your SSN, to recover your Username.
- How do I change my username?
- From your home page, click My Company Profile. Under username, click Change Username.
- What is Index this job to JobCentral?
- When you choose Yes, your job will be sent, at no charge, to the DirectEmployers Association US National Labor Exchange (NLX) at https://usnlx.com , providing you additional exposure for your job posting. If you are posting a job with a work location in another state, the job will be sent to that State Workforce Agency's 'job bank' also.