Assistive Technology Microcomputer Specialist/Trainer - Dothan-Montgomery R-3816
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Dothan, AL 36303
R-3816 Position ID # 4122051
Posting Date: July 2, 2018
We receive our applications through the Alabama Career Center System. Please review position requirements below for minimum qualifications. Visit your local State Career Center or contact via phone 256-480-2109 or fax 256-362-7219 for instructions and application materials.
AIDB is sensitive to the needs of individuals who are Blind or Visually Impaired and/or Deaf or Hard of Hearing and for qualified applicants and employees will make reasonable accommodations.
POSITION: Assistive Technology Microcomputer Specialist / Trainer
Assistive Technology Program – Dothan / Montgomery
E. H. Gentry Facility
• Must possess a high school diploma or equivalent.
• Professional experience or post secondary training in one of the following fields required: assistive technology, computer science, computer technology, information and technology training, or related field.
• Two (2) years of successful work experience in assistive technology; including direct service, computer service, maintenance or repair (including hardware/software installation and configuration or course work/certification in computer technology).
• Knowledge of assistive technology, including background in the use of, CCTVs, screen magnifiers, screen readers, Braille translation software and OCR software, preferred.
• Preference will be given to persons with background and work experiences with assistive devices for the Deaf, Blind, DeafBlind, and physically challenged.
• Background and personal qualities necessary to work successfully in a one-on-one training situation with persons who have a disabling condition.
• Must obtain a sign language proficiency level of SURVIVAL according to the AIDB evaluation system within the first twelve (12) months of employment and must obtain the level of INTERMEDIATE within the first thirty (30) months of employment.
• Must demonstrate competency in reading and writing Braille by scoring 80% or better on the AIDB Braille Skills Assessment inventory within the first twelve (12) months of employment.
• Must be experienced in using the personal computer, Microsoft operating systems and Microsoft Office software. Current experience in Windows environment necessary.
• Must come to E.H. Gentry for training.
• Extensive travel with periodic overnight travel required.
• Must be able to assist with training for low vision and blind consumers.
• Must be able to use large print assistive technology software and devices.
• Must be able to troubleshoot closed-circuit TV’s and computer problems with large print and speech access.
• Must be willing to attend special training workshops and/or conferences for upgrading skills in assistive technology.
• Must be able to work nights when serving clients.
• Strong writing, speaking, and public relations skills required. Must have the ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Must demonstrate software knowledge by obtaining MOS (Microsoft Office User Specialist) certification within twelve (12) months of employment.
• Must demonstrate technology competency by obtaining Microsoft IC3 certification within twelve (12) months of employment.
• Must be willing to travel to other regional centers for regular work assignments.
• Must be willing to provide training in the field and at the homes of consumers when needed.
• Must be able to lift fifty (50) pounds.
• Must be able to communicate effectively with blind and deaf clients/staff.
• The successful applicant must submit to a criminal history background information check including, but not limited to, FBI and ABI record repositories. Upon offer of employment, the applicant must present a non-refundable fee of $49.65 and immediately schedule and appear for finger printing appointment.
• Provide assessments, on- site visits to evaluate assistive technology needs.
• Provide equipment recommendations as well as equipment delivery and installation.
• Provide instruction to students in the area of closed circuit TV’s, large print, speech access, and business application software used with assistive technology.
• Complete check sheets and other items necessary for tracking student’s progress.
• Write service reports, instructional reports, monthly progress reports, and maintain documentation of services and attendance in Gentry Resource Information Network (GRIN) in accordance with given deadlines.
• Prepare lesson plans based on curricular guidelines.
• Keep daily class roll and report absences.
• Evaluate student performance in the classroom and document daily.
• Monitor classroom activities and performance tasks involved in computer operations.
• Maintain demographic database on all assistive technology services.
• Maintain current inventory of equipment and supplies.
• Research and learn the use of new technology and software.
• Attend special training, workshops, and/or conferences for upgrading skills in assistive technology or the field of blind rehabilitation services.
• Assess classroom/instructional needs; prepare classroom supply, equipment, and maintenance orders.
• Provide information and consultation to consumers and educators about assistive technology services.
• Handle special projects related to assistive technology services as needed.
• As a representative of AIDB, follow AIDB policies and procedures and set appropriate example for students, consumers, and other staff.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
SALARY: $21.08 – $25.40 per hour Scale C5 Rank50 (260 days)
Pay increase of 2.5% effective 10/1/18
This is a non-exempt position and is subject to overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Direct deposit is required.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: Open Until Filled
This position is funded by a grant award, funded by revenue generated, necessary for compliance or provides direct service delivery.