Direct Support Professional
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Mobile, AL 36695
Volunteers of America Southeast. Inc.
Direct Support Professional
(This is an On the Job Training position. Must meet OJT eligibility guidelines)
The Direct Support Professional is responsible for guiding. coaching and encouraging individuals to achieve their maximum level of independence. They will assure individuals with developmental disabilities have opportunities to learn and grow in accordance with personal outcome measures through education and life experiences.
Pay Rate: $8.25 per hour
Work Schedule: 30 hours per week.
1. Completes duties to ensure that individuals receive needed supports in a positive environment that enhance the person’s ability to achieve their personal goals.
2. Implements supports and services as outlined in each person’s Lifestyle Support Plan.
3. Supports and encourages individuals in exercising their rights and making their own choices.
4. Performs and provides supports with personal care if needed which may include, but not limited to. bathing, dressing, dental care, hair care, etc.
5. Provides input in identifying personal preferences and goals for individuals.
6. Completes duties to ensure the health and safety of individuals, including, but not limited to. taking people to medical appointments, providing medication administration and education, reporting signs and symptoms of illness, unusual behaviors, etc.
7. Provides supported to individuals in attending and participating in leisure and recreational activities based upon the individuals’ personal interests.
8. Develops and maintains positive relationships with individuals receiving services, co-workers, family members, related agencies, and others.
9. Completes all required documentation required to ensure compliance with VQA Policies & Procedures and funding sources.
10. Reports any suspicion of abuse, neglect, mistreatment, and exploitation and cooperates fully in investigation.
11. Reports maintenance needs of the home, equipment, and vehicles.
12. Completes basic household tasks to maintain home in an environment that meets the approval of the individuals residing in the home as well as VOA health and safety requirements and DMH certification standards.
13. Completes basic vehicle tasks to ensure that vehicles are well-maintained and meets VQA health and safety requirements and DOT requirements.
14. Meets at least minimum staff development/training requirements in compliance with VQA standards and funding agency requirements.
15. Performs additional duties as assigned by your supervisors.
The position requires a person eighteen 18 years of age or older with a high school diploma or GED. Requires a valid, current Driver’s License. The position requires the ability to collaborate effectively with the individuals with developmental disabilities who are receiving services, co-workers, family members, related agencies and others. The DSP must have the ability to assist individuals in achieving personal goals while promoting dignity and respect. The DSP must be able to communicate with individuals bv listening and learning in the wav that is most effective for the person. The DSP must be able to establish rapport with individuals, family members, friends, and other natural supports to ensure comprehensive coordination. The employee must possess a high level of written communication skills, a valid Alabama driver’s license and the ability to meet the requirements of Volunteers of America’s vehicle insurance carrier, if applicable. The DSP must successfully pass all required training courses including but not limited to First Aid. CPR. CPI. Medication Assistant Certification, and VQA Policies & Procedures.
The position requires the ability to read, analyze, and interpret common correspondence and the ability to write and complete forms. The position requires the ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
The physical requirements are those are those required to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the essential duties of this job. the employee is occasionally required to stand: walk: sit: use hand to finger. handle, or feel objects, tools or controls: reach with hands and arms: climb stairs: balance: stoop: kneel, crouch or crawl: talk or hear. The DSP must occasionally lift and or move 25 or more pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust or focus. While performing the essential job duties, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Apply through the website:
• Go to www.voase.org website
® Click on Jobs
• Select New Applicant or Returning Applicant
• Select View All Current Openings
• Click on the Job Title to view information about the job opening or to apply for that position
• Click Apply Now
• Complete the Application
(Must meet OJT eligibility guidelines)
If accepted for an “On the Job Training” (OJT) position (You must certify and meet OJT eligibility guidelines at the Alabama Career Center / Southwest Alabama Partnership for Training and Employment.) (SWAPTE)