Respite Care Assistant
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Cullman, AL 35055
The position performs respite care on a short-term basis for individuals unable to care for themselves because of the absence or need of relief of those persons normally providing such care. Tasks are performed in accordance to with the Plan of Care. This position reports directly to the assigned Oxford HealthCare Supervisor.
1) Provides and/or assists with Activities of Daily Living (ALD’s) and observations, such as:
- Prepares and serves meal or snack, and cleans up afterwards.
- Performs general housekeeping including cleaning 9such as sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, dusting, taking out the trash, changing bed linens, defrosting and cleaning the refrigerator, cleaning the stove and/or oven, cleaning bathrooms, washing clothes and linens, ironing, and minor mending, and other activities as needed to maintain the client in a safe and sanitary environment.
- Carries out essential shopping for food an other household or personal items which may be purchased during the same trip, and picks up prescribed medications as needed.
- Assists with paying bills, which includes opening bills, writing checks (BUT NOT SIGNING THEM) and delivering payments to designated recipients on behalf of clients.
- Assists with communications, which includes placing phone within client’s reach and physically assisting client with use of the phone, orientation to daily events, paying bills, and writing letters.
- Observes client’s condition and reports it to the supervisor.
- Reminds client to take medications.
2) Provides home support that is essential to the health and welfare of the recipient, such as:
- Assistance with communications
Home safety, including a general awareness of the home’s surrounding to ensure the client is residing in a safe environment.
3) Reports observed changes in the client’s physical, mental, or emotional condition.
4) Reminds client to take medication.
5) Reports to the company supervisor weekly on each patient and contact the supervisor in case of any emergency situations.
The Respite Care Assistant is NOT PERMITTED to perform any medical tasks, including, but not limited to:
- Administer shots, including insulin.
- Pour any medication or place any medication in the patient’s mouth.
- Administer any enema.
- Administer any eye drops.
- Change dressings on any would.
- Cut a patient’s finger nails or toe nails.
- Successful completion of ninth grade educations, and nonprofessional supportive service experience or a High School diploma.
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of home management skills.
- Be in good physical health, including taking and passing a Tuberculosis test with 90 days prior to the first assignment, and annually during each subsequent year of employment.
- Completion of Oxford HealthCare pre-service training program and achievement of an average score of 80% or greater on the Company Exam, or evidence of current certification and four (4) hours of pre-service training with Oxford HealthCare.
- Demonstrate a caring attitude toward all persons regardless of age or any physical/mental disability.
- Demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients’ co-workers, office staff, and the general public.
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively follow written and oral directions and instructions.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively, which includes possessing the ability to read and write.
- Demonstrate the ability to follow the Plan of Care with Minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate the ability to assist the client appropriately with ADL’s as related to personal care.