Orientation and Mobility Specialist – Structured Discovery Program R-3870
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Talladega, AL 35161
R- 3870 Reference #116329452
Posting Date: May 3, 2019
POSITION TITLE: Orientation and Mobility Specialist – Structured Discovery Program
REPORTS TO: Alabama Freedom Center for the Blind Director
• Conduct Orientation and Mobility assessments, focusing on the Structured Discovery students’ long/short-term needs grounded in nonvisual instruction; cognitive problem solving; and concerted strategies for clarifying attitudes and raising expectations surrounding blindness.
• Based on said assessment and continued evaluation, provide individualized Orientation and Mobility instruction and consultation for Structured Discovery Program participants.
• Prepare lesson plans inclusive of sequential and meaningful instruction geared to the students’ assessed needs; Individualized Employment Plan and/or Personal Futures Plan; functioning and motivational levels.
• Prepare and use equipment and materials for the development of Orientation and Mobility skills, following the Structured Discovery curricula and philosophy.
• Document Structured Discovery participant progress daily.
• Instruct Structured Discovery students in the development of skills and knowledge which will enable them to travel independently to the highest degree possible based on assessed needs and the participants’ evaluation, Individualized Employment Plan and/or Personal Futures Plan.
• Assist Structured Discovery participants in travelling to various community locations as necessary to provide meaningful instruction in realistic learning environments until participants achieve the skills to arrange for their own transportation.
• Present in-service training to Structured Discovery staff on appropriate Orientation and Mobility techniques as needed.
• Participate in the Structured Discovery Strategic Planning process to provide a continuum of services aligning with AIDB’s efforts to design innovative instructional programs to meet the unique and changing education and rehabilitation needs of students, consumers and families.
• Actively seek ways to educate through effective marketing and positive public relations to enhance and expand the Structured Discovery Program.
• Participate in state and national meetings, workshops, presentations, conferences and consumer groups, sharing information learned and best practice methodology to internal/external audiences.
• Observe the Code of Ethics of the Orientation and Mobility profession.
• Keep abreast of current research and Orientation and Mobility teaching strategies.
• Review and update the Structured Discovery Orientation and Mobility curriculum as necessary.
• Protect confidentiality of student information while maintaining required records and reports inclusive of data entry into the Gentry Referral Information Net (GRIN).
• Demonstrate professionalism in behavior and dress that serves as a role model, setting a good example for Structured Discovery participants and aligning with the AIDB culture.
• Attend departmental, inner-agency and campus-wide faculty/committee meetings as assigned.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
SALARY: $33,902 – $49,976 Scale MR Rank 5A (HS and Structured Discovery Program Completion)
$37,741 – $57,240 Scale MR Rank 5B Bachelor’s Degree
$39,529 – $59,910 Scale MR Rank 5M Master’s Degree
Monthly Payroll – Direct deposit is required.