Campus Security Officer (Itinerant)
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Huntsville, AL 35801
Servicing Huntsville City Schools
The Campus Security Officer provides services as an employee of PESG serving Huntsville City Schools. The Campus Security Office is responsible for ensuring a safe and secure educational environment of HCS through patrolling district schools, facilities, and grounds, monitoring student behavior, enforcing district policies and regulations, and assisting administrators with the resolution of emergency or unusual situations.
Essential Job Functions (note this is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position):
• Patrol and monitor district schools, facilities, and grounds as assigned for the purpose of preventing disruptions, confrontations, vandalism, illegal entries, and other occurrences and diffusing hostile situations that detract from a safe and secure educational environment.
• Maintain a high level of visibility in school buildings and grounds by walking and surveying hallways, common areas, parking lots, etc., intervenes in verbal and physical encounters among students as necessary, and acts as a deterrent to disruptive and/or unsafe behavior.
• Enforce strict district policies and regulations and follows established procedures pertaining to the conduct of students, HCS staff, and visitors and maintains alertness to the possessions of weapons, alcohol, tobacco, and other illegal substances carried or stored on school property.
• Collaborate with supervisor, school principals, district administrators, and other HCS staff to assist in the control and resolution of disciplinary issues and other matters; notifies and provides assistance to appropriate district staff, law enforcement, and/or emergency personnel in the occurrence of any crisis, potentially dangerous, or unusual situations.
• Contribute to the investigation of incidents occurring in reference to accidents, loss of property (school and employee), illegal weapons or substance possession, and other unlawful acts and provides written reports of violations and other information to school personnel, local law enforcement, and others as appropriate to be used in expulsion hearings or criminal cases as required.
• Follow established procedures in activating/deactivating alarms and securing buildings; may monitor surveillance cameras as assigned to oversee the safety and security of students, staff, and district resources and assets.
• Assist visitors with securing proper identification, identifies unauthorized visitors, and escorts them off district property.
• Work with school principals and other HCS staff in conducting fire drills, tornado drills, lockdowns, building evacuations, and other emergency procedures.
• May provide security for approved school functions, special events, and extracurricular activities as needed.
• Travel to HCS facilities to perform job-related duties as needed.
• Represent the District and PESG in a professional manner by performing all job functions at a satisfactory or above level.
• Interact with co-workers, administration, students, parents, and the community in positive, supportive, and cooperative ways.
• Performs other related duties, including special projects, as required or requested consistent with reasonable expectations for the contracted position.
• High School Diploma.
• Some security-related experience in working with students.
• Must possess a valid Alabama driver’s license.
• Must possess or willing to obtain a state security license
• Demonstrated record of good attendance and punctuality.
• Demonstrated strong communication and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated ability to speak clearly and concisely both in oral and written communication.
• Must meet criminal history background requirements (requires FBI Fingerprint and SOARS clearance)
• Requires exerting 50-100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 25-50 pounds of force frequently, and/or 10-20 pounds of force constantly. Must walk and stand 95% of work shift.
Starting Date: July 2019
Work Year, Hours & Compensation:
• Nine (9) months per year, $12.30 per hour, Non-Exempt
Apply online at www.mypesg.com
Application Timeline: Until Filled
It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons in hiring, promotion, transfer, discharge, pay, benefits and all other aspects of employment, without regard to age, height, weight, pregnancy, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, citizenship, marital status, disability, or other classification protected by state and federal laws