Chief Accountant, Rev G
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
TALLADEGA, AL 35161
OVERVIEW: This is a professional level accounting position involving the application of accounting and auditing principles, methods, and procedures in the maintenance and analyis of accounting and financial records of the Revenue Commissioner’s office. This position performs sometimes complex accounting and auditing work in accordance with standards and procedures commonly accepted in the accounting profession. Work also includes preparation and interpretation of various reports necessary for internal and external reporting.
Under the general supervision of the Revenue Commissioner, performs the following duties:
• Prepare, examine or analyze accounting records, tax records, or documents or reports to assess accuracy, completeness and conformance to reporting and procedural standards.
• Interprets, explains, and ensures departmental compliance with all applicable codes, laws, rules, regulations, standards, policies and procedures; initiates any actions necessary to correct deviations or violations
• Calculates disbursements in accordance with laws, ordinances, regulations, and standard accounting practices and prepares checks for same
• Compile, code, categorize, calculate, tabulate and verify information and data.
• Balances various reports to ledger, including sales tax, ad valorem, motor vehicle tags and other licenses, prepares reports and processes checks as necessary
• Oversees the processing of all cash and related funds
• Prepares and maintains records and reports of collections and disbursements
• Posts entries to and balances general and subsidiary accounts and ledgers
• Interprets and applies guidelines in accordance with prescribed procedures and guidelines
• Other duties as assigned from time to time
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Accounting or Business Administration.
• Minimum of three years’ responsible accounting experience involving a high volume of cash transactions (receipts and disbursements)
• Must be bondable.
MINIMUM SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Must have the following:
• Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra and their applications.
• Knowledge of the principles of accounting and auditing.
• Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition and grammar.
REVENUE DEPARTMENT AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
• Knowledge of the Code of Alabama as it pertains to ad valorem taxation of real estate, manufactured homes, business personal property, and the collection of taxes and related matters.
• Ability to read, comprehend and interpret laws, regulations, departmental rules and regulations, procedures and instructions.
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to operate and utilize basic office equipment, including computer equipment and software.
• Ability to understand written and verbal instructions and directives.
• Ability to account for and distribute large sums of money accurately.
• Ability to perform moderately complex mathematical calculations.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, representatives of other organizations and the public.
• Ability to interact with people providing information in a polite and efficient manner, in person, by phone or written.
• The ability to handle confidential information with tact and discretion; must have the ability to communicate effectively with others, both orally and in writing, using both technical and non-technical language
• The ability to perform a wide variety of duties and responsibilities with accuracy and speed under the pressure of time-sensitive deadlines
• Ability to use good judgment to make decisions in accordance with precedents and regulations and apply them to the work situation.
• The ability and willingness to quickly learn and implement new skills and knowledge due to rapidly changing information and/or technology
• This position supervises the duties of the Revenue Accounting Techs
• This position receives supervision from the Revenue Commissioner which establishes objectives, priorities and deadlines.
• This work is performed in a typical office environment with employee sitting at a desk for extended periods of time with intermittent standing and walking; bending; carrying of light items such as papers, books, etc.
REQUIRED PHYSICAL ABILITIES:
Must have the following physical abilities with or without reasonable accommodation:
• Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities which permits the employee to communicate effectively
• Sufficient vision or other powers of observation which permits the employee to review a wide variety of materials in electronic or hardcopy form
• Sufficient manual dexterity which permits the employee to operate a computer, telephone, fax machine and related equipment
• Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes which permits the employee to function within the general office environment.
• Ability to sit at a desk with intermittent standing and walking
• Be able to lift up to 15 pounds