Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Birmingham, AL 35203
Work involves performing and directing difficult and complex engineering and analysis work by reviewing construction plans for compliance with building and zoning codes, regulations, and ordinances. Employees in this class work closely with a senior engineer until proficiency is achieved.
TYPICAL JOB DUTIES:
- Designs public infrastructure facilities, including drainage structures, sanitary sewers, roads, bridges, and culverts using accepted civil engineering practices, jurisdiction-specific standards and specifications, and nationally recognized engineering codes, standards, or regulations. *Works closely with engineering consultants and external contractors on construction projects that were designed by engineering consultants.
- Directs and assists sub-professional engineering staff (e.g., Engineering Inspectors, etc.) in the field. Interacts with interested parties (e.g., developers, contractors, engineers, surveyors, governmental agencies) going through the jurisdiction’s permitting process.
- Reviews proposed construction plans to ensure they safeguard the health, safety, and welfare of the public; use accepted civil engineering practices; and comply with applicable codes, regulations and standards.
- Conducts engineering studies and prepares reports and recommendations based on the study’s results.
- Investigates and responds to complaints or inquiries made by the public to the department or public officials.