Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Birmingham, AL 35203
Work involves skilled manual labor performed in the construction and/or maintenance of streets, roadways, drainage systems, utility lines, buildings and other public facilities. Work includes using power tools and mechanical equipment, which require set up, adjustment and operational knowledge and skills and physical abilities used in digging, excavating, cutting and repair work. Work may also require the operation of trucks and other equipment for transporting personnel and tools to and from work sites and in loading, unloading and moving materials. Work is assigned and carried out according to oral and written instructions and the supervisor gives additional specific instructions for new, difficult, or unusual assignments. Employees also receives continuing or individual assignments from a supervisor who generally indicating the work to be done, limitations, quality and quantity expected, deadlines, and priority of assignments. Work is inspected by a supervisor for quality and timeliness of performance; the supervisor also assures that the work is technically accurate and in compliance with instructions, established procedures, and guidelines.
TYPICAL JOB DUTIES:
- Performs proper preparatory tasks including gathering all necessary tools and materials, conducting pre-trip inspections on all equipment to be used, loading and unloading equipment and materials, etc.
- Conducts necessary and assigned maintenance functions for streets and sidewalks including patching potholes, repairing utility cuts, repairing damaged sidewalks, concrete work, etc.
- Conducts necessary and assigned maintenance functions for sewer lines, storm drains, culverts, etc. including assisting with laying pipes, digging trenches, clearing storm drains, repairing culverts and headwalls, etc.
- Maintains and improves public parks, right-of-ways and planting areas by mowing grass, landscaping, removing debris, trash collection, and cleaning and repairing city or county owned structures.
- Conducts the necessary equipment maintenance tasks including loading, cleaning, fueling and repairing all equipment, supplies, and tools to ensure proper storage, safety and efficiency.
- Assists skilled craftsmen (e.g., plumbers, carpenters, painters, electricians, etc.) with necessary repairs to County/City facilities, responds to emergency calls, and other miscellaneous duties as needed.