A Class Outside Machinist
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Mobile, AL 36601
Any qualified individual with a disability who is having difficulty in completing an application because of incompatible technology or other disability-related application issues may contact us at the following phone number for assistance: 251-445-1932.
Austal shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or disability. Austal s commitment to equal employment opportunity applies at all levels of employment, in all job titles, including the executive level, and to all employment actions, including but not limited to decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, training, and promotion.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF JOB: To work within a team of Outside Machinists to achieve minimum production time, standards and quality in keeping with company policies, while maintaining a positive and motivated team environment.
REPORTS TO: Machinery Supervisor
AUTHORITIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Install equipment on board vessels in a safe and productive manner.
- Disassemble, fault find, repair and re-assemble shipboard equipment as directed by the supervisor.
- Mark and measure to close tolerances using Austal calibrated equipment
- Safely rig equipment following all OSHA requirements.
- Inspection of work, identification of potential problems, initiation of corrective actions.
- Increase awareness of Quality procedures within department
- Ensure adherence to correct work procedures.
- Continuously improve communications and flexibility within the team.
- Develop other team members skill levels.
- Build pride of workmanship and quality through on the job training.
- Contribute towards innovation / productivity improvements.
- Assist in the control of waste elimination, e.g. materials, consumables etc.
- Assist supervisor to maintain control of department equipment and its maintenance.
- Work towards the team goal of delivering the vessel on time.
- Follow Austal guidelines and procedures
- Ensure work area is left clean, all equipment and tools are stowed away safely and protected against damage
QUALIFICATIONS / KNOWLEDGE / EXPERIENCE:
- Diploma/GED or comparable trade experience; comparable trade experience is defined as 5 or more years of experience working in the applicable trade, 2 years of experience in shipbuilding, or education in the trade comparable to apprenticeship or 1 year minimum work experience as a B-class outside machinist at Austal.
- Demonstrated knowledge of shaft alignment techniques including laser alignment systems and dial indicator alignment processes.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of machining procedures,
- Strong mechanical aptitude required
- Knowledge of ship terminology
- Proven ability to interpret engineering drawings
- Demonstrated ability to safely operate all fixed and non-fixed machinery
Employer’s Job# R0003608
Please visit job URL for more information about this opening and to view EOE statement.