Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Cullman, AL 35055
The position performs non-medical assistance, observation, supervision, and socialization to functionally impaired clients. The therapeutic goal may be related to client safety and/or toward promoting client independence or toward promoting the mental or emotional health of the client. Tasks are performed in accordance to with the Plan of Care and/or under the direct supervision if the Client, Client family member, or authorized representative. This position reports directly to the assigned Oxford HealthCare Supervisor.
1) Supervises and observes the client’s Activities of Daily Living (ADL’s) such as:
- Reminds the client to bathe
- Reminds the client to take medications
- Observes and supervises snack, meal planning and preparation, and/or eating
- Assists with toileting or maintaining continence
2) Accompanying (NOT transporting) client to necessary medical appointments, grocery shopping, and obtaining prescriptions.
3) Supervises/assists client with laundry
4) Performs housekeeping duties that are essential to the care of the client
5) Assists the client with communication
6) Reports observed changes in the client’s physical, mental, or emotional condition to the supervisor
The Companion is NOT PERMITTED to perform any medical tasks, including, but not limited to:
- Administer shots, including insulin.
- Pour any medication or place any medication in the patient’s mouth.
- Administer any enema.
- Administer any eye drops.
- Change dressings on any wound.
- Cut a patient’s finger nails or toe nails.
- Successful completion of ninth grade educations, and nonprofessional supportive service experience or a High School diploma.
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of home management skills.
- Be in good physical health, including taking and passing a Tuberculosis test with 90 days prior to the first assignment, and annually during each subsequent year of employment.
- Completion of Oxford HealthCare pre-service training program and achievement of an average score of 80% or greater on the Company Exam, or evidence of current certification and four (4) hours of pre-service training with Oxford HealthCare.
- Demonstrate a caring attitude toward all persons regardless of age or any physical/mental disability.
- Demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients’ co-workers, office staff, and the general public.
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively follow written and oral directions and instructions.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively, which includes possessing the ability to read and write.
- Demonstrate the ability to follow the Plan of Care with Minimal supervision.