Teacher, Hard of Hearing (R-5041)
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Talladega, AL 35161
R-5041 Reference #313010551
Posting Date: October 15, 2019
AIDB is sensitive to the needs of individuals who are Blind or Visually Impaired and/or Deaf or Hard of Hearing and for qualified applicants and employees will make reasonable accommodations.
POSITION TITLE: Teacher, Hard of Hearing
Helen Keller School of Alabama
WORK SCHEDULE: 187 days
• Must hold an Alabama Teaching Certificate and certification/endorsement in Special Education and Hearing Impairment or hold an Alabama Teaching Certificate and certification/endorsement in Special Education and obtain Hearing Impairment within the first thirty (30) months of employment.
• May be required to have a valid Alabama Driver’s License and obtain a CDL/Bus Driver’s License within the first thirty (30) months of employment. May be required to maintain CDL throughout employment.
• Must attain certification in CPR and MCS training within the first twelve (12) months of employment and maintain certifications.
• Experience in working with children with multiple disabilities preferred.
• Must be able to physically assist students as required and as assigned, including pushing wheelchairs, transfers, and lifting. Must be able to lift fifty (50) pounds frequently and lift more than fifty pounds with assistance or use an assistive device.
• A minimum entry sign language level of SURVIVAL is required. INTERMEDIATE PLUS must be attained within the first thirty (30) months of employment.
• Upon offer of employment, the ABI/FBI record check must be completed based on the Alabama Child Protection Act of 1999 pursuant to Act 2002-457. A non-refundable fee of $48.15 is required at the scheduled appointment. Suitable criteria must be confirmed by the Alabama State Department of Education prior to beginning to work.
• Conducts initial assessment of all students assigned and utilizes assessment information to develop appropriate goals and objectives for instruction.
• Develops IEP for each student and implements the program, planning activities and tasks to carry out the plan. Regularly evaluates child’s progress and alters child’s instructional plan accordingly.
• Develops pleasant, consistent environments for learning.
• Writes lesson plans for each student; maintains documentation of progress and submits lesson plans according to schedule. Prepares appropriate materials needed to implement the IEP lesson plans. Submits timely and accurate progress reports. Uses instructional time for instruction.
• Sets and maintains appropriate standards for classroom behavior. Disciplines students according to the established policies and procedures. Follows documentation procedures.
• Supervises and effectively utilizes dorm/teacher aides, as assigned.
• Communicates with parents regularly and as needed.
• Recommends, accompanies, and provides information to all clinics.
• Attends all meetings called by the president, principal, or department director.
• Is punctual to all school meetings, functions, conferences, clinics, etc.
• Accepts responsibilities and assignments as assigned.
• Participates in staffings of students.
• Informs nurse of student’s medical needs and assists in meeting medical or personal needs of students.
• Assists children in care and maintenance of eye glasses, hearing aids, wheelchairs, braces, etc. Attends to needs of children as required.
• Initiates, plans, and participates in departmental committees.
• Participates in or attends workshops/in service.
• Appropriately implements approved behavior management plans.
• Maintains accurate and current documentation.
• Monitors students when traveling on campus.
• Protects confidentiality of student information.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
SALARY: $42,415 – $56,490 Scale I1 Rank 2T (BS – Class B)
$49,717 – $64,882 Scale I1 Rank 1T (MA – Class A)
$52,927 – $68,566 Scale I1 Rank AA (AA Certification)
Direct deposit is required.
This is an exempt position, and is not subject to overtime or compensatory provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: Open Until Filled
This position is funded by a grant award, funded by revenue generated, necessary for compliance or provides direct service delivery.