Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Birmingham, AL 35207
Accounting Intern (190001QD)
OVERVIEW OF VULCAN MATERIALS COMPANY
Vulcan Materials Company is the nation’s largest producer of construction aggregates and a major producer of aggregates-based construction materials including asphalt and ready-mixed concrete. We run our business with great discipline and integrity. At Vulcan, our people share a competitive drive for excellence, in an environment of trust, teamwork, positive reinforcement, open-mindedness and communication. Ours is a culture of mutual respect, integrity and committed spirit. Opportunity, community and unity is our way of doing business. We call it The Vulcan Way.
Summary Description of Position
Employee will be exposed to the business and be provided with experiences that will help him/her learn the business and the industry from a hands on perspective. A successful intern will be flexible, have the desire to learn multiple facets of the business, and be willing to work in different functional areas.
Education, Experience, Skills Required
- Must be enrolled in good standing with your college and pursuing a degree in Accounting or a related field.
- Junior or Senior level is preferred.
- Previous work experience would be a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent computer skills and experience utilizing Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint and Google Mail.
- Good oral and written communication skills as well as excellent interpersonal skills.
- Should demonstrate tenacity and the ability to work on teams, take instruction, the desire for learning all areas of the work involved.
Essential Functions This job description is not all inclusive and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the internship change.
- Under the supervision of an accountant, prepares maintains, and records a variety of accounting and financial data.
- Records the transfer, retirement and addition of capital assets.
- Prepares less complex journal entries.
- Prepares less complex account reconciliations.
- Prepares electronic payment files.
- Performs a full range of customer service duties related to area of assignment.
- Maintains contact with operations personnel to facilitate the performance of required duties.
- Other duties consistent with the clerical function.
Strong Work Ethic: Uses time efficiently; finds the answers and makes sure the situation is taken care of correctly.
Commitment to Learning: Applies intellect to the fullest, welcoming activities that require one to stretch.
Creativity: Develops innovative solutions to problems by trying non-obvious or non-traditional approaches.
Respectful: Treats other employees or customers with courtesy, dignity and respect.
Versatility: Is open to change. Adjusts positively to changing work priorities and business conditions.
Communication Skills: Communicates clearly and listens carefully in an open, candid and consistent manner.
Team Player: Establishes trust with team members, stating clear expectations and accountabilities. Recognizes group morale and acts to protect or build as necessary.
Personal Accountability: Honoring your commitments to yourself and others. Acknowledging and correcting your own mistakes. Taking full ownership to address and fix problems vs. deflecting blame to others.
Vulcan Materials Company offers a competitive compensation program and benefits package… For full info follow application link.
Vulcan is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or genetics, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law from discrimination.