Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401
Will support the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Water Center (NWC) as part of a team that designs, develops, and maintains flood forecasting and decision-making software for the National Weather Service, Office of Water Prediction. Will work closely with government personnel, Hydrologic and Hydraulic scientists and other partners, daily, to make design and implementation decisions. Specific job duties include but are not limited to:
- Database design and data management planning and implementation.
- Development of modernized database solutions that increase scalability and performance and minimize downtime.
- Perform modeling to assess and enhance database capacity and performance.
- Customize databases and software to meet client data storage needs including the ability to read, create and modify database models.
- Configure databases and web servers to support application software while keeping databases and web servers compliant with defined standards.
- Write and maintain system documentation according to established standards to facilitate ongoing support and maintenance.
- Software implementation, O&M activities, technical writing, and coordination meetings.
- Adhere to project-specific software development guidelines and practices (i.e., NWC Project Management). Assure software and data development projects are complete and accurate.
- Perform analysis of existing scientific prototypes.
- Implement databases and systems, able to integrate and store data being converted.
- Oversee data mapping processes.
- Recommend improvements to existing database designs to structure the data for more efficient data management and access.
6 – 10 years of experience related to the position. Must have knowledge of the following software/programming languages/tools: Java, C/C++, XML, Shell Script, Python, SQL, Postgres, Docker Container. Version control tools (e.g., svn, git, etc.). Experience with RedHat Linux operating system, Virtual machine. Solid hands-on experience with RDBMS modeling/admin and development. Knowledge of hardware required for effective database operations.
- Education and/or experience working in Physical Science field.
- Experience with geospatial databases and web-based geospatial technology.
- Knowledge of Ceph platform.
Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident and be able to pass a background investigation to obtain a security badge to enter the applicable government facility.
BS in Computer Science, related discipline, or equivalent. Master’s preferred.
ERT is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer – All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.