Senior Aerothermal Engineer
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Huntsville, AL 35808
i3 is seeking a Senior Aerothermal Engineer to perform aerothermal analysis and design of complex thermal protection system (TPS) technologies to include development of aerothermal environments and assessment of corresponding material ablation and in-depth thermal performance supporting hypersonic missile and flight vehicle system development. This position is located in Huntsville, AL.
The selected candidate will utilize high fidelity analytic methods and tools, such as full Navier-Stokes computational fluid dynamics (CFD) and coupled transient analysis codes, to characterize hypersonic aerothermal environments and boundary layer transition effects. Conduct ground and flight test experiments characterizing aerothermal environments and material properties as well as validating component level and integrated flight TPS designs.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or Computer Science.
- Minimum 10 years of experience.
- Candidate must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Experience in the use of finite element or finite difference analysis methods to conduct component and system level transient thermal analysis (ABAQUS, ANSYS, Thermal Desktop, Sinda, NASTRAN, PATRAN, etc.).
- Structural and thermo-structural knowledge and analysis capability is a plus.
- Experience with analytic methodologies and/or full Navier-Stokes computational fluid dynamics (CFD) codes to characterize hypersonic aerothermal flow field environments.
- Ability to perform design of experiments to support aerothermal test and evaluation to include test plan development, data collection, and post-test analysis and documentation.
- Knowledge of TPS technology physics to include ablation, decomposition, mechanical erosion, and conduction.
- Knowledge of aerothermal test facilities including high enthalpy arc heaters, radiant test facilities, blow-down facilities, and sled test facilities.
Business Unit: HDSI
Clearance: Secret Preferred