Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Childersburg, AL 35044
Perform a wide variety of general maintenance tasks on authority property. Tasks include repairing and replacing plumbing and electrical equipment in apartment, routine carpentry work, and assisting in preparing apartments for occupancy. Perform and assist in performing plumbing, electrical, HVAC, carpentry, and roofing maintenance and repair. Work as a crew-member in the installation and repair of water and sewer lines and other maintenance and repair projects in which more than one person is required. Assist in the preparation of records of work performed and supplies used. Periodically serve as worker on call for emergency calls during periods in which no one is scheduled to work, such as nights, weekends, and holidays.
Division: Maintenance Date: January 12,2019
Reports To: Maintenance Supervisor FLSA: NE
Essential Job Functions
A. Perform a variety of routine maintenance tasks in apartments, including work order requests, and preparing for occupancy
1. Replace faucet washers, stems, seats, etc.
2. Clear clogged pipes
3. Repair toilets by replacing tanks, commodes, floats, etc.
4. Replace covers on switches and outlets, light bulbs, globes, fixtures, and reset circuit breakers
5. Replace windowpanes, screens, door knobs, and door steps
6. Complete work order tasks in accordance with established procedures
7. Replace HVAC equipment, water heaters, toilets, and appliances, as needed
8. Prepare vacant units for occupancy by inspecting apartments in accordance with established procedures, performing needed maintenance work or informing supervisor
9. Check out appliances and make repairs or report problems uncovered
B. Assist with various building and grounds maintenance tasks by performing in accordance with instructions
1. Repair gas, sewer, and water lines
2. Repair heating and air conditioning equipment as assigned
3. Install gas furnaces and heaters
4. Perform a variety of carpentry work such as, changing-out countertops, re-hanging and
adjusting doors, and repairing cabinets
5. Replace and repair floors, tiles, ceilings, etc.
6. install appliances
7. Perform a variety of electrical tasks, such as replacing light switches, power sockets, fixtures, wiring, breakers, etc.
8. Install and repair plumbing pipes and fixtures, such as toilets, sinks, drains, valves and controls
9. Respond to emergency calls while off-duty and on-call
C. Perform a wide variety of maintenance tasks on Authority buildings and grounds in accordance with established procedures, as assigned
1. Repair and replace windows, doors, door frames, mailboxes, porches, clothes line posts, etc., as instructed
2. Repair leaks to pipes and valves by digging ditches and holes using backhoe and hand tools
3. Replace and repair roofs, soffits, downspouts, and valleys
4. Maintain parking areas by painting lines, repairing asphalt, installing speed breakers, etc., as instructed
5. Perform concrete work to repair sidewalks, drives, porches, etc., as needed
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
1. Knowledge of the practices, methods, tools, and equipment used in repairing and maintaining electrical and plumbing systems
2. Knowledge of the practices, methods, tools, and equipment of basic carpentry used in building maintenance
3. Knowledge of occupational hazards of building trades and of applicable safety rules and precautions
4. Ability to locate and correct basic plumbing and electrical problems
5. Ability to complete work order forms in accordance with established procedures
6. Ability to carry and move objects, such as furniture, sinks, doors, appliances, etc. as needed
7. Ability to communicate with co-workers, tenants, and supervisors
8. Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions
9. Ability to use tools and equipment of the building trades
10. Ability to work independently
11. Ability to operate and drive vehicles and equipment as needed
12. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, residents, and the general public
A minimum of 2 years of building or apartment maintenance experience in the following areas: electrical, plumbing, carpentry work, and HVAC or an equivalent combination of education and experience. A minimum of type 11 EPA certification is preferred. NOTE: This job requires the incumbent to be periodically on call 24 hours per day, for a seven-day period.
Other: Valid Driving License
Ability to be insured under the Housing Authority’s automobile insurance
This job description should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job classification. Ail incumbents may not perform all of the job duties listed, and some incumbents may perform some duties which are not listed, and incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this description.