Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401
Will support the National Weather Service (NWS) National Water Center (NWC) as part of a team that designs, develops, and maintains flood forecasting and decision-making systems and software for the NWS Office of Water Prediction. Will work closely with government personnel, hydrologic and hydraulic scientists, software developers, and other partners to make design and implementation decisions in support of development and operations functions. Specific job duties include but are not limited to:
Data Management Duties:
- Design and implement relational database, file-based, and object-store data storage solutions.
- Analyze and assess existing data management practices to enhance database capacity and performance.
- Develop modern data storage solutions that increase scalability and performance and minimize downtime.
- Customize databases and data access software to meet high-performance data storage and data management requirements.
- Configure and deploy databases to support application software while keeping databases compliant with defined standards.
- Design and integrate data storage solutions compatible with intuitive, efficient data services providing modern data access.
- Conduct and oversee data discovery, data cataloging, and data mapping processes.
- Develop, review, and integrate project and enterprise Data Management Plans (DMP).
- Automate data ingest, decoding, and conversion functions, coupled with data and system monitoring tools.
- Adapt and optimize data management practices to high-throughput “big data” environments.
Data Management Practices:
- Write and maintain system documentation according to established standards to facilitate ongoing support and maintenance.
- Support active software implementation, O&M activities, technical writing, and coordination meetings.
- Apply software development life cycle (SDLC) best practices to all aspects of enterprise data management practices.
- Coordinate solutions to adhere to project-specific software development guidelines and practices.
- Assure software and data development projects are complete, accurate, and sustainable.
- Implement databases and systems, able to integrate and store data being converted.
5 – 10 years of experience related to the position. Must have knowledge of the following software/programming languages/tools: Java, C/C++, XML, Shell Script, Python, SQL, Postgres, Docker Container. Version control tools (e.g., svn, git, etc.). Experience with RedHat Linux operating system, Virtual machine. Solid hands-on experience with RDBMS modeling/admin and development. Knowledge of hardware required for effective database operations.
- Education and/or experience working in Physical Science field.
- Experience with geospatial databases and earth science data structures and formats (e.g. netCDF, GRIB).
- Knowledge of ObjectStore technology and Ceph platform.
Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident and be able to pass a background investigation to obtain a security badge to enter the applicable government facility.
BS in Computer Science, related discipline, or equivalent. Master’s preferred.
ERT is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer – All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.