Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Montgomery, AL 36107
Auto req ID: 4818BR
Posting Title: Mechanical Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Alternative Work Location: Montgomery, AL
Company DescriptionProgress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers\. Our customers enjoy one\-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle\-to\-grave railway solutions \- whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself\. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs\. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future\. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success\. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala\., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world\. For more information, visit www\.progressrail\.com and follow @Progress\_Rail on Twitter and YouTube\.
Job PurposeThe Mechanical Engineer II is a critical position within the Montgomery, AL facility in leading sustaining engineering activities and new product development for domestic and international rail maintenance of way \(MOW\) projects\. The position will require directing designers and draftsman with a sense of urgency, passion, creativity and inspiring others in a fast paced positive work environment\.
Key Job Elements• Mechanical Design; Must be a skilled engineer in mechanical design for pneumatic and hydraulic systems along with mechatronics;
• DFMEA and PFMEA generation; to provide feedback to management for risk mitigation;
• Design for Manufacture \(DFM\) through knowledge of manufacturing to support on\-site equipment utilization and manufacturing competencies;
• Implementation of 5S and continuous improvement / lean manufacturing principles;
• Must work in a cross\-functional team environment to develop innovative solutions with input from customers, operators, service technicians, engineers, manufacturing assemblers along with aftermarket sales team members;
• Demonstrate knowledge of mechanical properties of materials, component selection for performance and duty cycle, and a wide understanding of manufacturing and assembly processes for heavy equipment production;
• Must be able to develop and execute machine design that meets minimum standard requirements\. Experience with international standards \(ISO, EN, CE, etc\.\.\) is a plus\.
• Working in a data driven decision environment where Root Cause and Corrective Action are well documented;
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with all levels, including company management, customers, staff, contractors, vendors and site personnel\.;
• Performing the design, analysis, testing and documentation of mobile equipment mechanical systems and components;
• Involves frequent bending, kneeling, stooping, lifting, climbing and walking on gravel and other uneven surfaces;
• Must work in all types of weather conditions \(rain, sleet, snow, wind, dust, extreme heat/cold\);
• Other duties as assigned\.
Education / Training• Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering\.
Qualifications and Experience• Minimum of 3 years’ experience in the design of complex machinery;
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience in engineering and manufacturing environment;
• Comprehend customer specifications, railroad regulations, and government regulations to determine proper design parameters for custom product design;
• Capable of travelling to remote locations as needed to gather data and feedback on equipment performance;
• Producing an error free engineering design package using sound engineering practices;
• Communicate ideas to colleagues and clients through excellent verbal and writing skills\. Superior listening skills to understand clients’ needs and receive feedback from them and coworkers;
• Able to identify problems and come up with viable solutions\. Use of critical thinking skills to evaluating the options and select the best one;
• Analysis of others’ work product, as well as that of electrical products, components, and applications, to make improvements as required;
• Proficient computer experience in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
• Proficient computer experience in 3D and 2D engineering CAD;
• Proficient experience in Finite Element Analysis \(FEA\);
• Must have valid driver’s license;
• Prefer candidates with previous experience working in a manufacturing environment of Safety, Quality, On Time Delivery and Cost where everyone is valued and is encouraged to improve products, process, and the business\.
BenefitsProgress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package\* including competitive salary, 401\(k\) plan with company match, available medical/dental/vision/life/disability insurance along with flexible spending and paid vacation and holidays\. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions\.
\*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status \- governing plan documents control such benefits\.\.
EEOEqual Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities