Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Gadsden, AL 35901
Summary/General Description Of Job:
Responsible for providing a safe and positive living environment that delivers guidance to students to ensure positive group living relations and achievement in the program in compliance with government and management directives.
Essential Duties & Job Functions:
• Maintain positive and effective relations with students. Provide guidance for students to achieve a positive attitude and proper behavior in the dormitory living situation, and to accomplish their goals and objectives.
• Determine and recommend student visits to the counselor and health staff as appropriate.
• Supervise, direct, and monitor dorm and student activities, as designated, including dorm government and peer court.
• Assist with dorm and recreational activities both on and off Center.
• Transport students, as needed, to and from recreational activities, airports, stores, bus stations, etc.
• Prepare the morning report; pass list, and other administrative correspondence relating to students, including evaluations.
• Direct students and assist in the cleanup and maintenance of the dormitory. Complete dorm and room inspections as assigned. Identify and communicate dorm maintenance needs to dorm supervisor or designee. Recommend or requisition supplies to provide needs for dorm living and safety of students.
• Conduct group counseling sessions and dorm meetings in accordance with the schedule. As assigned, participate in and conduct orientation activities as well as other Center committees and activities.
• Maintain dormitory and individual student files. Ensure files are complete, updated, and contain all required documentation.
• Participate in student training, as appropriate, and evaluate student progress as part of interdepartmental teams.
• Serve as CDO when assigned by management in absence of Counseling and Residential Director or Senior Residential Counselors.
• Maintain accountability of students and property. Adhere to standard safety practices.
• Cultivate and maintain a positive Center climate that is free of harassment, intimidation, and disrespect, in order to provide a safe place for staff and students to work and learn.
• Promote student attainment of career success standards through modeling appropriate skills, mentoring students, monitoring skill acquisition and intervening when inappropriate behavior is observed.
• Assist with monitoring student clothing trips, as required.
• Perform all other related duties as assigned.
• Completing all mandated training requirements per government and management directives.
• Timely and cost effective performance of duties.
• Communicating effectively verbally and in writing with all levels of Center staff and students.
• Ability to develop rapport and positive working relationships with all departments
• Timely completion and accuracy of all departmental work.
• Dealing with a variety of people in a professional, courteous manner in diversified situations.
• Adherence to established company safety policies and ability to work in a safe manner, using any required personal protective equipment (PPE) as may be required.
• Compliance with company standard operating procedures and personnel policies and procedures.
Job Requirements (Education, Experience, Professional Associations):
• High School Diploma or equivalent.
• Successfully pass any background check and/drug test required on the contract.
• Ability to obtain & maintain valid Driver’s License and an acceptable driving record.
• Previous experience with Job Crops program
• Previous experience within a residential youth program
• Associate’s degree in counseling, social work, rehabilitation, or related field.
• Two (2) years working with youth.
Preference shall be given to eligible and qualified Chugach shareholders, spouses and descendants, and shareholders of other Alaska Native Corporations. Chugach makes every effort to identify, hire, train, and promote shareholders. Chugach is an equal opportunity employer. The company shall not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity (except where gender is a bona fide occupational qualification), national origin, age, disability, military/veteran status, marital status, genetic information or any other factor protected by law.