Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Tuscaloosa, AL 35486
The Staff Physical Therapist shall be responsible for providing quality physical therapy services and assisting in departmental operation.
Responsible for: The Staff Physical Therapist’s primary responsibility is to organize and render physical therapy services.
- Physical Demands**: Work is medium and consists of lifting and carrying equipment, supplies and materials up to _50_pounds without help, over _50_pounds with the help of mechanical devices or other personnel. Stooping, pushing, and pulling when moving patient or equipment into position for treatment. Reaching when moving patient or equipment into position for treatment. Reaching for, handling, feeling, and manipulating equipment and patient when giving treatments. Talking and hearing to convey instructions and information to patients and staff members. Visual acuity to perceive reactions to treatment and to read instructions. Work inside.
- Special Demands**: The Staff Physical Therapist demonstrates the knowledge and manual skills necessary for performing quality patient care. Has a preference for working with people and is able to motivate them to achieve optimum performance.
Demonstrates the oral and written skills necessary to understand medical terminology, to communicate with staff; patients, and physicians, and to prepare meaningful reports. Has the knowledge of statistics and forms required for maintaining accurate departmental and patient records. Understands basic concepts of management, has good problem solving skills, and is able to supervise supportive personnel. Performs self~evaluation and accepts criticism in a constructive manner. Demonstrates dedication to the profession through reliable and reasonable behavior. Able to work with individuals of all ages from neonates to geriatrics.
EDUCATION: A minimum level of a B.S. degree in Physical Therapy from an accredited institution offering training in this specialty.
EXPERIENCE: When educational requirements are met, no previous experience is necessary, but would be desirable.
REGISTERED: Must be licensed by the Board of Physical Therapy in applicable State.
Authority: Has the authority to perform physical therapy procedures as prescribed by a medical doctor.
1. Evaluates patients referred to Physical Therapy to determine their current physical and functional status; and, assesses their potential benefit from physical therapy services.
2. Plans and conducts a therapy program for patients referred to Physical Therapy. The program could include the use of exercise, massage, thermal agents, water, light, and/or electricity.
3. Applies diagnostic and prognostic muscle, nerve, joint, and functional ability tests. Directs and aids patients in active and passive exercises, muscle re~education, and gait and functional training. Utilizes exercise equipment such as pulleys and weights, steps, uneven, and inclined surfaces.
4. Makes use of equipment such as muscle and nerve stimulators, ultrasound machines, and other therapeutic electrical machines.
5. Gives whirlpool and contrast baths and applies moist heat and cold packs.
6. Directs patients in the care and use of wheelchairs, braces, canes, crutches, walkers, and prosthetic and orthopedic devices.
7. Gives instruction in posture control and therapeutic procedures to be continued by the patient.
8. Adapts conventional physical therapy techniques to meet the needs of patients unable to comprehend verbal commands or voluntarily carry out a regime of therapeutic exercises.
9. Observes, records, and reports patient’s condition, reactions and responses.
10. Directs and supervises activities of supportive personnel Conducts and participates in training of Physical Therapy Technicians and Physical-Therapist Assistants in physical therapy techniques and objectives.
11. Provides a safe, clean Physical Therapy Department.
12. Performs related duties as assigned.
SOURCE OF WORKERS: From schools and from classified ads in professional publications.
SUPERVISED BY: Clinical Director
WORKERS SUPERVISED: Physical Therapy Assistants and Aides/Technicians
Title: Physical Therapist
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL