Groundman - Overhead
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Tuscaloosa, AL 35486
Position Summary: Groundman – Overhead is an entry level position in the construction, maintenance and repair of electrical overhead distribution systems. This position works at various locations and may also be required to travel to another state depending on customer demands.* *
- Works safely while performing new construction, maintenance or repair work of energized and de-energized overhead work.
- Strings overhead wire.
- Sets poles and anchors.
- Assists with installing transformers, lightening arrestors, cutouts, crossarms, insulators, switches and switchgear.
- Assists in replacing fuses in transformers and clears faulted circuits and systems.
- Frequently works with energized high voltage systems requiring skill and care to protect the lives of themselves and others.
- Maintains company vehicles, equipment and tools in good working order.
- Able to perform rigorous physical labor.
- Understands proper use of company radio.
- Understand basic rigging, hand lines, and lineman knot tying.
- Understand the proper use and maintenance of hand tools.
- Capable of receiving and following directions.
- Possess a basic knowledge of materials used in line work.
- Able to identify primary and secondary voltage on a circuit.
- Must be familiar with induced voltage.
- Capable of assisting with the installation and hook up of a single phase transformer.
- Capable of performing basic bucket rescue/escape.
- Understands the basic concepts of equipment set up and grounding.
- Capable of working at heights and/or confined spaces.
- Understands minimum approach distance.
- Understands excavation and shoring requirements.
- Capable of checking voltage on transformers.
- Capable of installing and removing a service.
- Understands when to wear personnel protective equipment.
- Must be able to climb different types of structures (wood, steel, etc.) and possess the necessary tools to do so.
- Understands how and when to use Kellum grips.
- Able to identify different types of materials used in line work.
- Must be able to work outside, frequently in inclement weather.
- Does all other related work as required to complete the job.
- Able to read and communicate effectively in English.
- Able to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License permit within 60 days of employment.
- A Commercial Driver’s License is preferred.
- Able to travel long distances on short notice, when required.
- Able to work for extended periods in various locations, when required.
- Able to lift an excess of 50 lbs.
- Capable of properly inspecting rubber goods and PPE.
- Willing to work over-time when requested.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to fingers, handle, and feel; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee is frequently required perform rigorous physical labor; sit; climb different types of structures (wood, steel, etc.); or balance; and stoop, kneel crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift or move up to an excess of 50 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision. Depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of extreme conditions at construction job sites. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud. This position is performed in outside weather conditions.
- Customer Oriented
- Ethical Conduct
- Must be able to follow Company safety rules and all other Company policies.
/Pike Electric, LLC is a Non-union Company/
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Organization: Pike Corporation, Inc.
Title: Groundman – Overhead
Requisition ID: 200000AI