Director Emergency Services
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Florence, AL 35630
The Director of Emergency Department Services directs the operation of Emergency Services including in accordance with the established hospital policies and procedures. Provides management guidelines and develops policies for the Nurse Manager that are responsible for the daily operations of Emergency Services. Maintains direct coordination with all hospital departments and decisions ensuring smooth operation of services. Manages specific projects for nursing administration and represents nursing service as designated. Develops clinical and financial outcome measures for emergency services.
Graduate of a professional school of nursing, advanced degree preferred. Currently licensed by Alabama State Board of Nursing. Current advanced certification.
This position requires eight to ten years of nursing leadership experience in which management skills have been demonstrated.
Complexity of Duties and Responsibilities
Job activities are complex, diversified and only partially structured. Required considerable judgement to work independently, modifying or adapting standard procedures to meet different conditions, making decisions based on precedent and hospital policies.
Directs and coordinates two or more departments through subordinate nurse managers. Reviews and evaluates overall performance of departments and establishes long-term goals and objectives. Reviews, evaluates, and approves training and development objectives and progress. Handles departmental personnel actions. Provides significant input to long-term goals and objectives.
Works with, and is fully cognizant of, confidential data of major importance, such as reports of
Credential or Medical Review Committee, advanced development or research projects, profit
margins, and advanced patient information. Disclosure would be against professional
Position has frequent communication with middle and upper level management and professional involving high dollar items and volume. Communication involves complex information, first level negotiations, etc. Communications involve mostly non-routine matters.
Essential Job Function
1. Development of measurable quality performance indicators for Emergency Department to
improve clinical outcomes in collaboration with staff, medical staff, and hospital management.
2. Development of measurable financial performance indicators for Emergency Department to
improve financial outcomes with medical staff and hospital management.
3. Development of peer collaboration between Emergency Department/ facilities within
4. Development of standard policies and procedures between Emergency Department and
facilities within organization to facilitate deployment of staffing and patient transfers within
5. Development of training programs between Emergency Department and facilities within
organization to support cross-training of staff, patient transfers, and improved clinical and
6. Improve communication with nursing management and/or units regarding admission of
emergency patients to inpatient setting.
7. Continually reviews processes and initiates performance improvement activities to improve
customer, staff, physician and community satisfaction with emergency services.
8. Collaborates with Emergency Department physicians to involve in establishment of clinical
and financial measure maintaining appropriate communication regarding marketing,
contracting, and overall Emergency Department services.
9. Establishes objectives for Emergency Service, in collaboration with appropriate nurse
manager, develops and promotes the organizational structure for achieving these objectives.
10. Interprets and helps staff in understanding of policies established by Administration.
11. Develops, directly supervises, and evaluates leadership in Emergency Services.
12. Directs the management of divisional staffing matters of evaluations, promotions,
salary adjustments, disciplinary action, and terminations.
13. Assist as in preparation and administers the budgets for the departments. Coordinates the
procurement of the major capital items.
14. Participates with other departments, committees, and divisions to plan and coordinate
services that deliver high quality, cost effective and comprehensive health care.
15. Acts as a liaison between Emergency services, medical staff, and hospital administration.
16. Ensures appropriate use of staffing and acuity/productivity systems.
17. Manages specific nursing administrative projects.
18. Performs other duties as required by Administration.
19. Renders care with considerations to cultural diversity, ages of patient population served,
and mental and physical ability of patient population.
20. Demonstrates understanding and administers a continuous performance improvement
program within the division.