Director, Women's and Children's Services
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Muscle Shoals, AL 35661
*This position assumes the leadership role of care within Women’s and Chidlren’s Services. This position may require working under stressful conditions and irregular hours. Oversees the day to day operations of the patient care in the postpartum GYN, Labor and Delivery, Nursery, and Pediatric units, to include accountability for quality patient care, nursing staff performance and evaluation, budget development and management, staff development, education for staff and community. The director also identifies and addresses patients’ needs and priorities, and develops classes to meet these needs. Responsible for curriculum and keeping up to date on the changing needs of our patients and families. Promotes collaborative practice with other departments, physicians, and schools of nursing, and exhibits the ability to work with others, to find solutions to difficult technical or administrative problems.
_Qualified Medical Personnel- (QMP) _
The Director of Women’s and Children’s Services will be trained and competent to conduct an appropriate medical screening exam on patients with pregnancy related complaints to determine whether an emergency medical condition exists. The RN will have 24- hour back-up from the on-call physician.
• Graduate of Accredited School of Nursing with current Alabama RN License. BSN required or commitment to obtain.
• AWHONN Fetal Monitoring Certification
• Professional Certification in pertinent field within one year of taking position.
• Minimum of 4 years work experience in Women’s Services and/or Children’s.
Complexity of Duties and Responsibilities
• Job activities are complex, diversified, and only partially structured. Requires considerable judgment to work independently toward general results, modifying or adapting best practices to meet different conditions, making decisions based on precedent and hospital policies. Requires significant judgment and initiative in dealing with complex factors that are not easily evaluated.
• Conducts employee Orientation and Evaluations. Makes hire/fire decisions. Establishes training and development objectives and evaluates progress. Provides significant input to long-term goals and objectives.
• Works with and is fully cognizant of confidential data of major importance such as reports of credential or Medical Review Committee, advanced development or research projects, project margins, and advanced patient information. Disclosure would be against recognized professional ethics.
• This position has frequent communication with upper level management and involves professional networking.
Essential Job Function
1. Demonstrates proficiency and knowledge in particular area of responsibility.
2. Demonstrates clinical expertise necessary to function as a role model for staff, initiates
appropriate interventions, and directs patient care activities of all nursing personnel.
3. Formulates policies and procedures which relate to the particular nursing specialty and
develops Best Practices/Evidence Based Care and integrates them into unit operations.
4. Leadership style enables nursing staff to grow, develop and potentially promote to the next
level of responsibility.
5. Conveys to assigned staff the support of the philosophy of Administration and Corporate
Leadership by example.
6. Uses a systematic problem solving process to make sound decisions in a timely manner.
7. Demonstrates the ability to create, initiate, and integrate new concepts and practices to
improve nursing care and/or employee satisfaction.
8. Demonstrates the ability to recruit, select, orient personnel and maintain overall
responsibility for staffing and retention of staff in the departments assigned.
9. Determines and meets staff developmental needs
10. Uses performance appraisal and counseling/ disciplinary action to develop and motivate
11. Retention of nursing personnel and exit interviews indicate strong effort to manage
departments so to retain and develop staff.
12. Establishes and maintains an effective relationship within nursing and ancillary
departments in order to achieve common goals and objectives.
13. Maintains overall responsibility for staffing the unit during all hours of operation.
14. Maintains overall responsibility for assuring clinical competence of staff assigned to areas
15. Visionary in development of care in Women’s and Children’s Services to exceed the
expectations of the patient’s and families during their hospital stay.
16. Collaborates with the staff of Women’s Services Children’s Services to create a physical
environment that is friendly, inviting and relaxing for our patients and their families.
17. Collaborates with the staff of Women’s Services Children’s Services to develop a culture
that values establishing interpseronal relationships with patients and families that conveys
a caring attitude and a willingness to serve.
18. Innovative in developing community education programs to promote the services offered
through our Women’s Pavilion.
19. Assist in the implementation of Best Practices/Evidence Based Care specific to the
patients in Women’s and Children’s Services.
20. Collaborates with the Leadership Team to maintain a continuous Joint Commission
21. Serves as a clinical liaison and collaborates with physicians to improve patient outcomes.
22. Promotes an environment for the practice of patient care with consideration to cultural
diversity and ages of the patient population served.