Associate Mechanical Engineer, Hypersonic Structur
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Birmingham, AL 35205
Position: Associate Mechanical Engineer, Hypersonic Structures
Job Id: 3579
.# of Openings: 0
U.S. CITIZENS ONLY! Due to the nature of our research and the necessity to obtain security clearance, the Engineering division of Southern Research is only permitted to consider and hire U.S. Citizens for this position. Permanent Residents and Visa-holders are not eligible for employment. Please keep these restrictions in mind when reviewing our engineering opportunities.
Southern Research is a market leader in testing, characterization, and understanding of advanced materials in extreme environments. From advanced carbon-carbon composites to complex refractory metals, Southern Research brings world-class expertise and test facilities to the problems facing government and commercial customers in the aerospace, defense, and industrial sectors.
This position works as part of a team supporting several high-speed / hypersonic material evaluation programs within the Department of Defense and NASA. Candidates with interest and knowledge in the areas of structural composites, materials science, and heat transfer are encouraged to apply. The candidate must be proficient in MATLAB, SolidWorks and exhibit strong initiative with demonstrated competency executing projects. Planning, prioritizing, and goal setting are key skills necessary for this position. Knowledge of mechanical design and convective heat transfer are desired.
Others may be added
- Manipulate SolidWorks models and full documentation of system and specimen design.
- Execute design and analysis of specimen geometries.
- Demonstrate competency of design of experiment.
- Coordinate specimen life cycle with multiple support groups.
- Understand material construction, manufacture, and fiber architecture and their relative impact on material performance.
- Conduct analysis of test data and research results and arrive at interpretations of material behavior.
- Coordinate all results with team members and develop technical reports to the customer detailing test results, assessment of material performance, and future recommendations.
- Maintain knowledge and awareness of engineering discipline through familiarity with current engineering literature and state of technology in the field.
- Support off-site test execution.
- Support technical proposal composition.
- Apply engineering concepts, theories, and practices in creative and innovative ways.
- Participate in conceptual design and other pretest readiness activates.
- Inform drawings consistent with client requirements and standards.
- Prepare reports and specifications.
- Perform other duties as required by supervisor.
- Must demonstrate an ability to learn quickly in a complex, high technology environment.
- Performs other duties as required by supervisor
- US Citizenship required.
- Must be able to obtain/maintain security clearance at a level equivalent to Department of Defense (DOD) SECRET
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline.
- Proficiency in SolidWorks and MATLAB.
- Travel will be required to support off-site testing.
- 1 to 3 years’ experience in relevant fields including mechanical design,… For full info follow application link.
EOE / Minorities / Females / Veterans / Disabled / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity