Heavy Equipment Operator
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Opelika, AL 36803
Job Title: Heavy Equipment Operator
Hours of Availability: Monday-Thursday 6:00am-4:30pm
Closing Date: April 6, 2020
Position Announcement: ROADS09-20-03
Work Location: Lee County, AL
Reports to: Highway Supervisor
Pay Range: $38,549.03-$58,209.03
JOB SUMMARY: This position operates heavy equipment machinery in support of road construction, maintenance, and repair projects. This position is distinguished from that of the Equipment Operator due to higher complexity of the vehicles and equipment operated.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Operates complex motorized equipment, including bulldozers, two-yard loaders, front end loaders, motor graders, backhoes, low-boys, pavers, planers, tractor and trailer combinations, and other equipment; clears land for new streets; loads dirt and stumps onto dump truck; levels road beds; shapes back slopes; shapes driveways; mixes base course; spreads gravel.
• Assists in the repair and maintenance of vehicles and equipment, including changing blades and tires on motor graders.
• Lifts, moves and lowers pipes; builds structures into the ground; oversees the replacement of landscaping.
• Maintains and repairs streets and related appurtenances; builds spillways; shores up existing structures; builds new streets and drive entrances; patches potholes; delivers asphalt to work sites; removes damaged asphalt; shovels, packs, and prepares new asphalt for rolling operation; cleans up patch site after completion; restores curbing after asphalt work; mixes and pours cement; retrieves forms; repairs sidewalks; lays forms and spreads cement; levels cement.
• Performs bridge and guardrail maintenance.
• Assists with removal of brush/weeds and tree limbs; cuts and prunes trees.
• Removes trees, tree limbs, litter and debris from County’s rights-of-way; performs physical duties associated with natural disasters and other emergencies.
• Meets with Highway Supervisor to plan daily work assignments; inspects vehicles and equipment before use; loads tools and supplies; checks equipment for damage or other problems at end of day.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Knowledge of traffic hazards, safety principles, rules, regulations and speed limits.
• Skill in the repair and maintenance of vehicles and equipment.
• High School diploma/GED and one (1) year of related experience, or equivalent. Possession of a valid Commercial, Class A or B, State issued driver’s license.
Applicants should apply at the Alabama State Employment Office or the Lee County Commission Office
(215 South 9th Street, Opelika, Alabama) Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM. Previous applicants should reapply. For more information visit: www.leeco.us.
Lee County is an Equal Opportunity Employer, we will recruit, hire, train, promote, discipline, and discharge in all eligible job groups without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, marital status, political affiliation or genetic information or any other characteristics protected by law. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential job functions satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary job functions herein described in accordance to Subtitle A of Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (42 U.S.C. 12131).